Graduate student feature: Marian Dominguez-Mirazo

October 29, 2021

Quantitative Biosciences Ph.D. student Marian Dominguez-Mirazo successfully defended her thesis proposal on October 19th, 2021. We are delighted to feature Marian to commemorate her successful defense and progression to Ph.D. candidate.

Originally hailing from Iguala, Guerrero, Mexico, Marian joined the Weitz Group in 2018 after completing a bachelor’s degree in Genomics at the National University of Mexico (UNAM). We asked Marian some questions about her work, her time in the Weitz Group, her advice for the science-minded, and her plans for the future.

Describe your primary research project in 5 words or less.
“How do viruses shape populations?”

What initially interested you in viral ecology/quantitative/theoretical science?
There are very few things I like, but the ones I do like, I like A LOT. I really like viruses cause they are constantly defying our understanding of biology. I also like math a bunch, pretty much since I was a kid. So theoretical virology just made sense as a science path for me.

What three words would you use to describe your time in the Weitz Group?
Challenging, fun, insightful.

What is one thing you wish more people knew about being a scientist?
Science can only exist within society, therefore it is not isolated from social problems.

What are your plans for the future?
I would like to stay in science and travel the world while doing it.